Friday 18 March 2016

Potteric Carr.........again!!!

Tuesday 15th March

A quick trip to North Cave and a walk round the perimeter path, gave me my first Ringed Plover of the year as well as a Herring Gull being mobbed on Island Lake.

Wednesday 16th March

With a few reports of Lesser spotted Woodpeckers being seen in Yorkshire over the last weekend, including one again at Potteric Carr, I decided to have another trip to search for one. My plan was to head to Studley Royal Deer Park where one had been reported on Saturday, this was scuppered with the Potteric Carr again being seen by those looking for the Firecrest in Black Carr Woods on Tuesday.

After sorting the kids for school, I headed down the motorway and was soon on site. Reports were that the bird had been seen up near the visitor centre on Saturday, with a finch flock, strange behaviour in itself, then following the tit flock through Black Carr Woods on Tuesday. I headed straight down to the wood but after searching for a while, all I had found was my first Chiff-chaff of the year. Several Cetti's Warblers were heard calling along the path to Piper Marsh and Turret Hide as well as a showy Willow Tit. Crossing over Mother drain, I had a Kingfisher fly up and over the bridge. Next stop was West Hide, where after scanning the vast reedbeds, I had a Bittern flapping up and over the reed fringe and onto the next scrape. I carried on along to the Turret Hide where the same(?) bird was heard booming several times in the same area. I spent the rest of the afternoon back in Black Carr Woods hoping that the woodpecker would put in an appearance but it was again very quiet with just a couple of Goldcrests and another Chiff-chaff.

Friday 18th March

Surprise of the week was a Yorkshire Lifer in the form of a couple of Egyptian Geese, seen from the M62 on the way to Howden.

Yorkshire Life List: 278
British Year List: 135
Yorkshire Year List: 130
North Cave Year List: 72


No comments:

Post a Comment