Friday 15 April 2016

Back To Blackoft!!

Tuesday 12th April

Surprise of the day when I had my first ever Chiffchaff in the garden, unfortunately it was only seen briefly but nevertheless a great record. After finishing some work off, I headed to North Cave, the East path seemed to be crawling with birds, several Blackcap, Willow Warblers and lots of calling Chiffchaffs. Viewing from Crosslands hide, there was a Little Ringed Plover and 2 Dunlin.


It was there, honestly!! Must start keeping a pair of bins more handy

Friday 15th April

Having sorted a few bits at home first thing, I decided to head out in search of a few year ticks. With news of a few Sedge Warblers and Lesser Whitethroats at North Cave, I was tempted but with the possibility of a few extra waders at Blacktoft, I headed along the M62. Just before turning off towards Goole, I noticed a huge black bird above the motorway, a Raven!!

Carrying on towards Blacktoft, my first Swallows of the year were seen in Swinefleet, Arriving at the reserve, there were several Sedge Warblers as well as a few calling Cetti's Warblers. I then went in all of the hides but it was soon apparent that wader numbers were very low partly due to the weeks high tide, there was also no sign of the  pair of Garganey. Other birds seen included the large Black tailed Godwit flock, a small flock of Avocets and a booming Bittern. Also seen was several Marsh Harriers visiting their nests and one fantastic food pass.

Having decided to cut my losses, I headed back to North Cave in the hope of having time to connect with the 3 year ticks present. Arriving a short while later, I was immediately greeted with my first House Martin of the year as I got out of the car. With no sign of the Lesser Whitethroat around the South hide, I walked down the West path towards the North field. Having missed them on Tuesday, it was nice to catch up with the 5+ White Wagtails and in amongst them were 2 Yellow Wagtails.


Yellow Wagtail

Also in the same field was a very distant Wheatear, a great day all round!

British Year List: 151
Yorkshire Year List: 146
North Cave Year List: 86

North Cave Life List: 118

No comments:

Post a Comment